Roughly 10% of Mexico's population of about 107 million is now living in the United States, estimates show. About 15% of Mexico's labor force is working in the United States. One in every seven Mexican workers migrates to the United States.
Return to Main

Friday, July 07, 2006

Finland and Russia

I'm leaving soon for Finland and Russia. I have worked both in Slavic Studies and Latin American Studies--I've spent most of my employed years with foreigners and immigrants, and loved it and them. I have tremendous admiration for people who rebuild their lives in another country. But I'm not a world traveler. At my other, other blog I wrote about my trip clothes.

"This trip will be quite international. Most of these clothes were made in China and Mexico, however, in looking over the tags, I also saw Costa Rica, Lesotho, Australia, Ukraine, Vietnam, El Salvado, Cambodia and Bangladesh. Hey, better there than here if workers are being shipped in containers to work in sweatshops or coyoted across the border. Trade agreements will keep potential illegals in their home countries (instead of joining labor unions here and becoming democrats). If they are going to take American jobs, better to do it there."





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?